Any person who intends to construct any new or replacement water well(s), transfer groundwater off of the overlaying section to another section of land, or convey groundwater into a water impoundment structure that fall within the categories outlined in the Lower Big Blue NRD Groundwater Rules & Regulations (link below) on land within the District must, before commencing such activity, apply for a permit from the District and receive approval from the District.
A summary of the new rules and regulations adopted by the Lower Big Blue NRD Board of Directors on September 20, 2022, includes:
1) For new wells, a test hole must be drilled. Notification of test-hole drilling is required two full district working days in advance. Information from the test hole will be used to score the proposed well’s impact on the aquifer and pre-existing wells.
2) If approved, the proposed well cannot be drilled further than 300 feet from the test hole location.
3) The proposed well location must be 500’ from a domestic well and 1000’ from another high capacity (>50gpm) well of different ownership.
4) Flow meter will be required on the new well
5) Transfers out of section are limited to 3000’ from the source well to an adjacent destination section
6) Acres to be irrigated from a transfer are limited to the amount of acres irrigated by the source well and cannot exceed 160 acres.